With the clocks set back an hour, the afternoons can feel long and dark.
This Cinnamon Apple Cake is a delicious snack to warm up your afternoon. It can also be the perfect autumn dessert to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. And if you like sweet breakfasts, this cake would be a great way to start to your day along with a cup of coffee or a hot tea.
This cake is nice because it’s not too sweet, but is sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth craving. I was inspired by this recipe from the Farm Girl Gabs, but didn’t have all the ingredients necessary or a bundt pan so I modified it a bit to what I had available.
Cinnamon Apple Cake
Prep Time: 30 min Bake Time: 50 min Total Time: 1 hour 20 min
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbls cinnamon
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 medium apples
- Preheat oven to 350º F (175º)
- Butter and lightly flour a baking pan round (22 cm) or rectangle (9×13)
- Peel and thinly slice apples.
- Mix together the 3/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Place the apples in a medium sized bowl and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mix and stir until the apples are evenly coated – set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk the the eggs. Then add in the orange juice, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Slowly and gently add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until it’s just incorporated, don’t over mix.
- Fill the baking pan with half of the batter. Place a layer of apples so that the batter is completely covered. Then pour the remaining batter over the apples. Use the rest of the apples to top the cake. Drizzle the cinnamon sugar water mixture at the bottom of the bowl over the apples.
- Bake 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.